Pages

Monday 29 October 2012

My Two Cents (News and a Pet Peeve)

Hello All,

Two posts in one month! Go big or go home! LOL

Just an update: I had an interview today! (Yay!) First one since August. I think it went pretty well, and hopefully I will hear back from them with good news soon. The only thing that scares me is that it is a grade 1/2 position! I usually say that those grades are a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there! I think that it could be a fun experience though. And they do a lot of team teaching/collaborating, so I would have a bunch of support. That would be nice.

On to my pet peeve. As I think I've mentioned before, I have had a lot of experience in my (5 and a bit) years of teaching. Unfortunately, I've never had a full school year in one place, and I've had a few terms that were only 2-3 months long, and two of those I was only teaching half-time.

I overheard a girl talking in my night class a few weeks ago about how she is subbing because she's already had lots of terms, and she doesn't need any more "experience" just a job. Which got me thinking about how my experience is viewed by others. Then, at the interview today, the principal basically asked (in a nicer way than this) if the fact that I had so many jobs in different places was because there was something wrong with me. At first, I thought that this was a pretty unfair statement, as I feel like landing a permanent job is a lot more about being in the right place at the right time, rather than based on skill. On the other hand, I appreciated the fact that this principal was upfront about that thought, and gave me a chance to speak to this concern. Hopefully if (when) he calls my references, they will be able to say that they would hire me again, they just didn't have the ability to do so now.

I think it's really unfair that in this kind of "buyer's market" where lots of teachers are competing for few jobs, that I am going to be judged on teaching in several different schools in several different divisions. Some of the schools I worked at were shrinking due to lowered enrolment, some had people who had been on terms longer than I had, and some just didn't have any openings. That shouldn't paint me as an incompetent teacher.

Ah well. Glad to have gotten an interview, anyways. I always think that that is the hardest part of the battle. After getting the interview, getting the job should be easy! :)

Thanks for listening!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Dawn! I am your newest follower. Hang in there! When I graduated 23 years ago, there were NO teaching positions available. I had friends who waited years to get a full time contract position. I have been on hiring teams at my school (I hold a position of responsibility) and I think that teachers who have a lot of experience are an asset. You have been in many schools, and have probably learned a lot more than someone who has only been in one place. Keep networking! I have a "volunteer" working in my class this year. She graduated two years ago, and is on the "eligible to hire" list but there is no movement in my board. She is volunteering so that she continues to learn and broaden her resume. My fingers are crossed for you!
    Come by and visit my blog if you get a moment:
    http:teachingisagift.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete